September 25 – October 30th
Hooray! The building of our Library is complete!!
This year our Read-a-thon format will change. In Lieu of our normal read-a-thon program, we will not be collecting donations but instead focusing on just the reading during the month of October. We will start with a Book Fair and Facebook Live Event and wrap up with our Dress as your Favorite Character Day at the end of the month. Watch the Headmaster Update for more info.
Here’s how it works:
This year we are using a new, safe, interactive site, Reading Rewards. This site will track student’s reading and provide interaction among classmates and teachers. Only students who attend our school will have access.
Parents will receive an email with login information and info about the new program. Please reach out to our Library Committee with any questions.
Looking for info on how this works for your student? Check out this Video
Student needs help? Check out these helpful Links
There’s an App for that:
Check out this Presentation about the Reading Rewards App.
- 1st Level: One Laminated Fall Reading Bookmarks with Googly Eyes
- 2nd Level: One Vinyl Water bottle Sticker
- 3rd Level: Participate in Crazy Hat Day on November 3rd
- 4th Level: One grade level book from Scholastic Books
Here is the individual reading minute goals that a student must reach to receive that level prize:
|Level 1: Googly eye bookmark||Level 2: Waterbottle sticker||Level 3: Crazy Hat Day||Level 4:
Note: To receive each level prize, students in the grade noted must read the number of minutes listed under each prize.
Grade Wide Prize:
Each Grade that reaches their reading minutes goal will participate in a game Party on November 24th.
Here are the Grade Wide reading minute goals:
|Grade Reading Goal||Equates to this many minutes per Class|
Note: Grade Reading Goal must be met, not just the class goal. Class goal is listed just for student motivation.
School Wide Prizes:
- If the entire school reads 450,000 minutes – every student will get to participate in Jeans and T-shirt Day and come to school wearing Jeans and a t-shirt on November 10th
- If the entire school reads 500,000 minutes – every student will get to watch our Teacher Dance Off and vote for their favorite team on November 17th
Dress as Favorite Literary Character Day
The last day of our Read-a-Thon, Friday, October 30th, is also Dress as Your Favorite Literary Character Day. Students (and teachers/staff) are encouraged to come in costume as their favorite literary character (no pop culture). Ideas include Pollyanna, Wilbur from “Charlotte’s Web,” Alice from “Alice in Wonderland,” or Robin Hood.
Your child MUST get their idea approved by their teacher. Permission slips went home before fall break. Check with your teacher if you did not receive a slip.
- September 25 – Facebook Live Event and Online Book Fair starts
- October 1 – Read-a-thon starts
- October 30 – Dress as your Favorite Literary Character Day
- November 3 – Crazy Hat Day
- November 10 – Jeans and T-shirt day (if earned)
- November 17 – Teacher Dance Off (if earned)
- November 24 – Class Game Party (if earned)